Friday, October 6, 2023

Costanera Sur one more time, 9/14/23

In order to get reasonably priced airfare to Ushuaia I had to spend one more day in Buenos Aires so I returned to the nearby Reserva Ecologia Costanera Sur.  I studied the map of the park after I entered and decided to make a swing through the trail along the eastern bondary.  Problem was the area was blocked with caution tape.  The Bomberos (Fire Dept), who act as security, had an office next to the rest rooms and I asked one of them if I could enter the blocked area to do some birding and he said it was fine.  Turns out later I was rebuffed by park staff for being in a closed area.  What cha gonna do?

The blocked off trail was quiet with only one jogger and a couple of cars passing by.  It was not particularly birdy.  But I did manage to call up a Black-capped Warbling Finch.


Also making an appearance was the familiar Tropical Parula.


After a while there was an marsh that dained inland runnoff into the sea.  Several times I bushwacked to get a look but saw little other than a few egrets.  Then I saw a flock of raptors circling overhead.  They were dark, broad-winged with a black-banded tail.  They looked much like the Harri's Hawks I was commonly encountering.  But why were they up high circling in a flock of about fifteen?  Then it hit me.  These weren't Harris's Hawks.  They were Snail Kites,


I got better views of a Yellow-browed Tyrant.


Then the trail ran along the sea shore where the Rio de la Plata empties into the Atlantic Ocean.  I got my first Brown-hooded Gulls.


And distant looks at my first Snowy-crowned Tern.


And then several Great Grebes, a species I had seen along the coast of southern Peru.


Then the coastal scrub became thicker and I found several more species.  White-tipped Plant-cutter is a member of the Cotinga family and a species I really wanted to see.  I saw three of them but as is the case with cotingas, they were hard to photograph.

A couple of Rufous Horneros watched from their nest.


A number of genera that are represented by a single species in the United States also occur in Argentina where, perhaps because of the extreme range of latitudes and habitats, they have each radiated into several species.  This is true of coots as I mentioned in an earlier post and also the mockingbirds where five species are found.  This was my only White-banded Mockingbird.


A nearby fruiting Ligustrum held both Rufous-bellied and Creamy-bellied Thrushes.  The genus Turdus, which includes our familiar American Robin, has six species in Argentina.



I was hoping to come across a tegu at sometime during my visit to Argentina.  This Black-and-white Tegu was about thirty inches long.  They eat about anything and are often kept as pets.  They have become a problem in Florida along with Burmese Pythons and other escaped exotics.



On the cross trail back to the main trail, I found a mixed flock feeding near a picnic area.  Here's my lifer Green-backed Saltator.


I finally got good photos of the Golden-billed Saltator.  The female and young have a black bill.




I really enjoyed the Black-and-rufous Warbling Finches.

Back on the main trail a Gray-cowled Wood-Rail stalked the water's edge.  They are large but a bit smaller than yesterday's Giant Wood-Rail.


Here's a striking Rufescent Tiger-Heron.


The Southern Screams were at their usual spot.  Look at that spike on the wing.


A little outflow ditch held a familiar Green Kingfisher.


Reserva Ecológica Costanera Sur, Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires, AR
Sep 14, 2023 9:18 AM - 4:18 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.293 mile(s)
68 species (+2 other taxa)

Southern Screamer  2
Black-necked Swan  3
Ringed Teal  2
Silver Teal  20
Yellow-billed Teal  1
Rosy-billed Pochard  10
Lake Duck  4
White-tufted Grebe  20
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Great Grebe  4
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  25
Picazuro Pigeon  25
Spot-winged Pigeon  1
Picui Ground Dove  4
White-tipped Dove  1
Eared Dove  2
Gilded Hummingbird  1
Gray-cowled Wood-Rail  2
Spot-flanked Gallinule  2
Common Gallinule  15
Red-fronted Coot  60
Red-gartered Coot  6
White-winged Coot  4
coot sp.  10
Limpkin  2
Southern Lapwing  4
Wattled Jacana  2
Brown-hooded Gull  5
Snowy-crowned Tern  3
Neotropic Cormorant  40
Rufescent Tiger-Heron  3
Cocoi Heron  3
Great Egret  4
Snowy Egret  1
White-faced Ibis  10
Snail Kite  12
Roadside Hawk  1
Harris's Hawk  6
Green Kingfisher  1
Checkered Woodpecker  2
Green-barred Woodpecker  1
Crested Caracara  10
Monk Parakeet (Monk)  10
Nanday Parakeet  3
Rufous Hornero  10
White-tipped Plantcutter  3    Photos coming
White-crested Tyrannulet  1
White-crested/Straneck's Tyrannulet  4
Vermilion Flycatcher  2
Yellow-browed Tyrant  1
Great Kiskadee  12
Masked Gnatcatcher  15
House Wren  20
European Starling  12
White-banded Mockingbird  1
Rufous-bellied Thrush  4
Creamy-bellied Thrush  1
Hooded Siskin  6
Rufous-collared Sparrow  30
Variable Oriole  4
Shiny Cowbird  8
Grayish Baywing  20
Tropical Parula  2
Golden-crowned Warbler  4
Black-capped Warbling Finch  3
Blue-and-yellow Tanager  1
Black-and-rufous Warbling Finch  6
Saffron Finch  6
Green-winged Saltator  3
Golden-billed Saltator  10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last day at Costanera Sur 9/24/23

I would have liked another day at beautiful El Calafate but as my departing flight from Buenos Aires to the US was approaching and as that&#...